I wanted a roof vent to keep the interior of the van a little cooler and I opted for the MaxxAir Vent fan. Can't remember the model but it's the basic model with the built in rain cover. It's pretty sleek when closed and open only a few inches taller. The obvious great thing is that we'll be able to run the exhaust vent even in the rain so we don't melt inside during a rainstorm. Putting it in was intimidating because of having to cut a giant hole in the roof, but relatively easy. We just traced the attachment for the roof and cut it out with a jig saw. The fiberglass was really something against my jig saw blades. I flattened out two separate bodes in the process of cutting a simple 14"x14" hole. But it worked. I hooped two continues lines on top of the van where he lip comes down and predrolled all the screw holes using the base as a guide of course. Goop down. Base down. Screws in. 4 more screws to attach the actual vent. And done. Easy breezy.
It is said that a firm bed is good for your back but I still think a mattress is in order. But for now we've finished building the bed frame! Lynsi and I started on it the other night working out the bottom of the frame, and I had the day off today after flying 300+ people over the Memorial Day weekend, so I decided to finish her up. The frame is super solid and should be able to handle anything we throw at it. Anything.
Layed down the tongue and groove bamboo on the floor. To save on weight and to preserve my patience, we didn't lay the bamboo underneath where the kitchen will be because you won't see it anyway. Using a rusty chop saw miles roommate aquired and a air brad nailer we laid it down if you know what I mean. For he floor we nailed on the tongue of each piece at about a 45 degree angle to hold them in place and on he walls we just shot it straight through for added support. It really made a difference over the original vinyl we had laid down. It's the real deal now. We've also started on framing out the bed. Super!
Using a crowbar, hammer, and stuff I got the original smelly vinyl floor out along with the mostly rotted plywood subfloor. I then laid down Reflectix in place and used 3m spray adhesive to hold it in place followed by foam board and then 1/2" plywood.
For the walls I did Reflectix first again and then regular house insulation. I decided to cover one window on each side of the bus to help with insulation. I screwed in 1" wood furring strips horizontal at the bottom middle and top of the walls to attach the insulation to and later the siding. Side note: any time I screwed anything into the metal of the van, I used stainless steel self tapping screws.
I put in super easy fake wood flooring that looks great but as my main man Jesse James McFall said, it won't last. But telling me what I should have done different wasn't enough, so he hooked it up with about 150sq ft of beautiful tongue and groove bamboo flooring! Shit is freshhhh! You're the man Jesse. Just in time too because we were about to put the same vinyl flooring on the walls also. Now it will be a little harder but totally worth it in the end when it's covered in sexy bamboo. Weight was considered but who really cares.
Lynsi + Andrew
We're traveling around the world starting in Key West, FL in our van heading west and ultimately jumping on a flight out of Cali or Alaska onward around the world using all modes of transportation including planes, boats, bikes, and our two very own god given legs!